Saturday, August 06, 2005

Rusty Recluse??

One of my dearest internet friends, Ralph, suggested I write about friends today. Where do I even begin? I have known many friendships in my lifetime to this point. They vary in length, depth and character as do my interests. I never forget the friends I have known. The imprints of themselves they leave on me never fade but become a part of me for all time. It's very difficult for me to let go of people but that does seem to often be in the nature of friendship. People move in and out of our lives constantly as we move along the road of life. As we get older reaching out to make new ones often seems like a daunting task. This is especially true of those of us who still battle with shyness. Moving to a new area is the biggest challenge to me friendship-wise. I have made excuses for myself like "taking care of an almost invalid makes it nearly impossible to cultivate friends" or "I like being a hermit (lol)". But now Mom has passed on and it's been over two years now. I find myself facing the stark reality of serious loneliness. My husband is the best friend I'll ever have but I yearn for more friendships. Maybe one of these days I'll break out of myself and really give it a try..soon as I figure out how...

4 Comments:

Blogger wowgirl said...

Im proud of ya Mom...so very insightful...as I have shared with you b4, it is difficult for EVERYONE to reach out and extend themselves (even those for whom it appears to be second nature). I will pray for you in your struggle that you find the courage and faith to extend yourself to others. Blogging is a great first step...but don't forget to take the next...love you

2:41 AM  
Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I am proud of you too, mom. I must say, you have a great personality, and people don't pick up on your shyness. Perhaps you could take a class at the local community college, or volunteer at the senior center on Pilot knob rd. just doing that will open many doors, and I will bet you will meet people with similar interests.
I will pray for you as you work on it.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I am proud of you to dear. You reached out to Karen last night after she called you Martha at least 10 times....BRAVO !!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Tortikat said...

lol...(grrrrrrrrrr to Karen ;>})

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home