Friday, July 15, 2005

Burning Down the House...

A sudden early morning phone call and my whole focus changed today in an instant. My former home is but a blackened broken mess of what it once was..burned away by one careless act. My family and I moved into this house in 1976 and lived there for 22 years..an entire generation plus a bit more. Children were raised there, a marriage struggled and after valiant efforts too numerous to recount... died there. So many dreams were born there...some realised, some fallen by the way...some blossomed into so much more than one's mind can fathom. So many memories flooding me today I can hardly count them. Birthdays, Christmas's, graduation receptions, Easter bunnies, countless cats, kittens, fish, turtles, gerbils that disappeared into the mystery of night (never to be seen again), a rat named Andre, various wild animals rescued and nurtured there... a glassblowing husband becoming a true artist, a woman coming into her own as a successful business owner. I remember an incredibly busy woman longing of having a little "resort" in her back yard...a month later...almost the entire back yard tranformed into an in ground pool of laughing splashing children ....strange unexplained noises heard almost nightly within the walls of the house for 22 years and no one ever figured out.for sure what made them...Children entering the threshold of adulthood and venturing out into the adult world to seek their destinies …two parents struggling with the loneliness of an empty nest and the realization that their relationship was winding down to the sad truth of separate paths being necessary and inevitable. As I write this a full range of emotional thoughts flood...many joyous,..many sweet,.many humourous…some bitter, some sad, and some regretful. Experiences in that house transformed us in part into who and what we are today.

I guess we turn the pages of our lives, finish chapters and move on but we never completely close the book on our past. The memories are forever burned into special places in our hearts...even when present events burn out the shellof the physical we always remain tied to where we came from.

10 Comments:

Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

very moving, I feel for you. A paged has turned. BUT, at the end of each chapter, a new one opens. Life continues, and you know you have a home in Tecumseh where you are always welcome. =)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Kodiak said...

Can't say it any better than what Sam has already mentioned.

4:03 PM  
Blogger wowgirl said...

Momma, I could not have possibly said it better. If I took a minute to really let the words sink in, I'd be crying. I just am preserving my energy for work. I love u very much and your new chapter has and will continue to bless you daily.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

What a poignant story! I hope the place where you live now is a refuge, where you can recount all your blessings while looking back.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

I'm sorry for your "loss". God has allowed you to be so very blessed, and remember, you do have people in Tecumseh who love you and your family=).

3:48 PM  
Blogger RicTresa said...

Moving..very much so. I have memories, 40 years old that are just as painful today as they were then.

Thanks for the read and for dropping in on my Blog, as well.
:0)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Tortikat said...

You're welcome, Rictresa!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

Hello Mammy....miss your blogs.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

zzzzzzzzzzz

12:21 PM  
Blogger wowgirl said...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home